- Trained, equipped and empowered staff in daily tasks and project management.
- Promoted qualified staff into successful management careers.
- Utilized transformational leadership skills to cast vision and build team culture.
- Completed leadership training with CLASS, Meijer, and Trinity Church, Lansing, MI.
- Founded and lead regional writers’ group, Word Weavers West Michigan.
- Sponsored student’s summer internship in Convergent Journalism program for Indiana Wesleyan University.
- Wrote curriculum and taught church groups on personality profiles,spiritual gifts, prayer, cults and personal discipleship.
- Mentor writers on using social media to build an online writer platform
Publishing Industry / Editing Summary
- Wrote and published in CBA market books, and magazine articles since 2003.
- Published curriculum workbook via traditional trade publishing.
- Led and managed pool of writers for West Michigan Christian News.
- Regularly read, edit, and critique writers work for publishing / submission.
- Provide book editing and book proposal services for freelance clients.
- Submitted contributions to nationally published books, and Zondervan’s Hope in the Mourning Devotional Bible
- Built and manage social media platforms for national client base.
- Created Platform Advanced Blogging Class to mentor writers on social media and online platforms.
- Created Tribal Book Launch Campaign to coach writers to marketing books online.
Work Experience: 2002 – Present: Freelance Writer
As a freelance writer, accomplishments include:
- Wrote and published over 900 informational articles for eHow.com.
- Wrote website content for selected web designers, and author sites.
- Published in numerous non-fiction compilation books, e-journals for writers, and devotional magazines. (complete list here: http://www.timothyburns.com/in-print/)
- Founder and former president of Word Weavers of West Michigan, a community of freelance, professional, novice and part-time Christian writers.
- Wrote and published group bible study, Forged in the Fire – Shaped by the Master, in 2004 with Hensley Publishers.
5 / 1995 to 12 / 2001: Small Business Owner / Operator
As the owner and operations manager, responsible for all aspects of a small business operations. Key Accomplishments include:
- Wrote all bids, marketing, and promotional materials.
- Wrote, oversaw and reviewed labor, sales, revenue, and budget projections and profitability statements.
- Hired, managed, cast vision and motivated employees, work teams.
- Developed seasonal product market for college students at MSU.
- Designed and launched targeted direct mail newsletter for local commercial contractor.
6 / 1981 to 5 / 1995: Hardlines Retail Manager
As retail manager, oversaw hardlines departments for chain stores, and national co-op retailers. In addition to the responsibilities for daily operation of the retail stores, other key accomplishments include:
- Managed single company and corporate level communications.
- Wrote employee training handbooks and training manuals.
- Improved dept sales from 7th to 2nd in company.
- Hired, trained and managed staff in all aspects of company procedures, tasks and vision.
- Designed, implemented and directed staff training programs.
- Established and managed store labor, purchasing and sales goals and budgets.
- Oversaw store purchasing, daily store operations, vendor selection and negotiations.
Affiliations / Achievements
|8 / 2012 – 12 / 2014||Adjunct Faculty, Cornerstone University, Grand Rapids, MI|
|9 / 2012 – 2014||National Mentor, Christian writers’ groups, Word Weavers Inc.|
|9 / 2009 – 2014||Staff member, Maranatha Christian Writers’ Conference|
|12 / 2010 – 2013||Contributing Editor, weekly columnist, and writer pool coordinator; West Michigan Christian News|
|1 / 2009 – 12 / 2013||Founder and President; Word Weavers West Michigan|
|10 / 2008 to 12 / 2009||Monthly columnist; Dream Builders – Ministry in Motion
|9 / 2008 – Present:||Conference Speaker; Professional Christian writers’ conferences, and WordCamp GR Social Media / Marketing conference|
|9 / 2005:||Graduate; CLASS Christian Leaders and Speaker Services|
|1/ 1983 – 12/1989||Board member, and Director of Koinonia Ministries, Lansing, MI|